You've reached our old Website. Please visit our NEW official Website at

Setting Up Shop

The Setting Up Shop brochure provides step-by-step guidance as you prepare to:

• Open or buy a new business
• Expand or modify an existing business
• Build a new structure for your business
• Move the location of your business

Download Brochure

Minor Impact Business vs. Advanced Impact Business

Minor Impact Businesses:

  • The intended use of your building is permitted by zoning.
  • You are moving into an existing site that does not require exterior site upgrades or internal alterations such as the addition of restrooms, kitchen, or removing wall.
  • Ownership of the business is changing.
  • The name of the business is changing.

Advanced Impact Businesses:

  • You are constructing a new building or expanding an existing building.
  • You are upfitting the interior by installing/removing walls, bathrooms, kitchens, etc.
  • Your business requires a rezoning, Special Use Permit, or Certificate of Appropriateness

Step by Step

Minor Impact Business


 Advanced Impact Business



1.  Obtain a Certificate of Compliance (COC) application from our website or from our office. Turn in via email, fax, or in person.

2.  Contact the Fire Department to schedule a fire inspection for the subject property. 
     Phone: 704-920-5526

3.  With a complete fire inspection, the City may issue a COC and you may pay the fee to the Planning & Neighborhood Development Department.

4.  Take your COC to Cabarrus County’s Building Permit Department and acquire a Certificate of Occupancy.

5.  Power/utilities may now be placed in the new tenant’s name.


1.  Acquire and fill out the Setting Up Shop New Business Information Form. Submit the form.

2.  Gather all documents that provide information on the type of business, location, and operating activities to be conducted.

3.  The Economic Development Coordinator will organize a meeting with you and expert staff to address needs and concerns.

5.  Possible procedures/permits include: 

Rezoning, Special Use Permit, Certificate of Appropriateness (COA), Temporary Use Permit, Certificate of Nonconformity, plan review for an interior upfit, temporary power permit, plan review for exterior improvements, grading permit, Zoning Clearance Permit (ZCP), driveway permit, sign permit, stormwater permit, ABC permit, or state level approvals from organizations such as DOT or FEMA.