You've reached our old Website. Please visit our NEW official Website at

Frequently Asked Questions



What is my property zoned?

The City of Concord consists of several different zoning classifications. To provide accurate information, the citizen must provide staff with a Parcel Identification Number (PIN). The PIN number can be found on the City of Concord tax bill.

What do I need to build an addition to my residentially zoned house or to add a storage shed on my lot?

To build a storage shed or add on to an existing house in a residential zoning district, a Zoning Clearance Permit (ZCP) must to be obtained from the City of Concord. To be eligible for a ZCP, the applicant must submit a plot plan to the City of Concord for review. Once the review is complete, the applicant is eligible to have the work permitted by the City of Concord. After obtaining a ZCP from the City of Concord, the applicant must obtain a Building Permit from the Cabarrus County Building Inspections Department. Both permits must be issued to the applicant prior to starting any construction. The ZCP and Building Permit must be clearly posted at the construction site.

What is the cost of a Zoning Compliance Permit?

Residential Accessory or additions $50.00 Residential (Single Family, includes modular and mobile homes) $50.00 Residential (Two-Family, Multi-Family or Group Dwellings) $50.00+ $2.00 per unit Non-Residential Addition $.03 per SF or $75.00 minimum Non-Residential $.03 per SF or $200.00 minimum

How do I apply for a position with the Concord Police Department?

With 143 coworkers, we are usually doing some type of hiring. An applicant may elect to go to the Human Resource Department located at 66 Union Street South (City Hall Annex Building). You may also contact the Employment Security Commission to see if we are hiring at that time and obtain an application.

How do I apply for a job with the City?

There are several ways to apply for an open position with the City of Concord. The online City employment opportunities portal is  available here. An applicant may apply at the Employment Security Commission which is located at 2275 Kannapolis Hwy, 29A in Concord, NC. The ESC will also have a job description for each open position. An applicant may elect to go to the Human Resource Department located at 66 Union Street South (City Hall Annex Building).

If I am offered a job with the City, and I have accumulated sick leave from another municipality or county within the State, will I be able to transfer any of my sick leave balance.

Yes, a new co-worker who comes to work for the City of Concord directly from another city or county, may transfer up to 20 days of sick leave.

If I am offered a position with the City of Concord, how soon would I be eligible for insurance.

A new co-worker is eligible for insurance benefits the first day of the month following 30 consecutive days of employment.

How can I get my child's car seat installed properly?

Contact the Fire Marshal's Office at 704-920-5517 to make an appointment. Your child’s safety is very important to us, so please call and let one of our certified safety seat technicians install your safety seat properly.

I would like to schedule a tour of a fire station for my group (schools, day cares, scouts, etc.), who do I contact?

Contact the Fire Marshal's Office at 704-920-5517 to set up your tour.

I understand that I can rent a room at a Fire Station with a Community Room for my child's birthday party. How can I go about booking a party?

Please contact the Parks and Recreation Department to reserve Fire Station Community Rooms #7, #8 and #9. Contact numbers to make reservations: 
#7 on International Drive AND #9 on Ivey Cline Road call Hartsell Recreation Center at 704-920-5602, x5623 or x5622. 
#8 on Old Charlotte Road, call Logan Recreation Center at 704-920-5603, x5624 or x5625. OR 704-920-5600 or email

Can I get a smoke detector from the fire department?

If you cannot afford a smoke detector for your home, contact the Fire Marshal's Office at 704-920-5517. The Fire Marshal's Office will arrange for the delivery and installation of a smoke detector in your home.

I would like for a fire truck or the Fire Safety House to visit my school or daycare, who do I call?

Call the Fire Marshal's Office at 704-920-5517 to schedule the Firefighters to bring a truck or the Fire Safety House to your facility.

Where can I dispose of used motor oil or other household hazardous waste?

Cabarrus County and the City of Concord have made available to the public a household hazard hazardous waste drop off site. Please contact 704-920-5555 for additional information.

Where can I get a burning permit?

Open air burning is not allowed within the City of Concord unless it is for cooking or ceremonial purposes. For additional information please contact the Fire Marshal's office at 704-920-5517.

How can I prepare my family for a terrorist attack or other disaster?

The Office of Emergency Management provides disaster preparedness programs for businesses, schools and community organizations. To schedule a disaster preparedness program for your organization or to obtain family disaster preparedness information, please contact Ian Crane, Emergency Management Coordinator, at 704-920-5211.

Who do I contact to report information regarding a recent fire?

To report information regarding a recent fire, which is under investigation, please contact Adam Ryerson, Division Chief of Fire Prevention, at 704-920-5535.

I have noticed children setting fires in my neighborhood. How can I report this?

A juvenile fire-setters program is available through local fire departments. To contact the juvenile fire-setters program call Adam Ryerson, Division Chief of Fire Prevention, at 704-920-5535.

If my business stores, handles or uses chemicals, where can I get information on reporting requirements, planning or site inspections?

Information regarding storage, handling or use of hazardous materials or explosives is available through the Office of Emergency Management. Please contact Ian Crane, Emergency Management Coordinator at 704-920-5211.

When are vendor payments issued?

Checks are issued weekly on Friday. An invoice along with the approval from the department must be received by Accounts Payable by 5:00 pm on Monday to receive a check on Friday of that same week. Invoices are paid according to the terms stated on the vendor invoice. If terms are not stated on the invoice, the City assumes the terms of net 30 days.

How are checks distributed to vendors?

All checks are mailed on Friday.

I have received an invoice from the City and I have a question. Who do I call?

If the invoice is your utility bill, please call 704-920-5555. If the invoice is for fuel purchased at Concord-Padgett Regional Airport, please call Aviation at 704-920-9000. For questions on all other invoices, please contact Finance Department Accounts Receivable at 704-920-5231.

If I am eligible to receive Housing Assistance, when is my check issued?

Housing assistance payments are processed and mailed on the first business day of each month.

When are 1099 forms available?

The City of Concord will mail these forms no later than January 31st of each year.

When is the City’s fiscal year end and when is the audit report available?

The City’s fiscal year is July 1st through June 30th. The City prepares a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) each year and it is submitted to the Department of State Treasurer, Local Government Commission no later than October 31st of each year. The CAFR is available at the Cabarrus County Library, the City’s website or in the City’s Finance Department for review.

Where can I get a copy of the Fees and Charges Schedule?

Please see the City Budget page for the Fees & Charges Schedule.

How do I pay parking, cruising, and speeding tickets?

You pay parking and cruising tickets at the Concord Police Department on Cabarrus Ave., Concord, NC; or, payment may be mailed to the Concord Police Department at P.O. Box 308, Concord, NC 28026-0308. Speeding tickets must be paid at the Cabarrus County Courthouse, 25 Corban Avenue, SW, Concord, NC 28025.

How do I get a parade, loudspeaker, or parking permit?

Contact Leslie Griffin at the Concord Police Department (704) 920-5007 for an application. There is no charge for this service.How do I get a trespassing agreement?Contact the Concord Police Department at (704) 920-5000 and an officer will come to your residence or business and assist you with this paperwork.

How do I get an accident report?

A copy of any police report is available through our Records Unit at the police headquarters. They are open Monday – Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. There is a $1.00 charge for all copies.

How do I file a complaint against an employee of the Police Department?

We respond to all complaints against our coworkers. You may call (704) 920-5000 and ask for any supervisor, or you may contact Chief Gacek direct at (704) 920-5007.

How do I make an appointment for a ride-a-long with an officer?

We enjoy citizens riding with us on patrol, but by the nature of our business, we must have some restrictions. Contact the Police Department at 704-920-5000 to complete an application.

How do I hire an officer for secondary employment?

Some businesses choose to employ officers in a secondary employment capacity for security purposes. Contact the Police Department at (704) 920-5000 for more information.

How can I find out information about warrants?

If you are curious if an issued warrant has been served by the Concord Police Department, call our information desk at (704) 920-5000.

What can I do about people speeding in my neighborhood?

Speeding in neighborhoods is one of the top complaints we have. Contact the Communications Center at (704) 920-5580 while the problem is happening. If it is an on-going speeding problem, contact Sergeant Rankin in our Traffic Unit at (704) 920-5027.

What is the City tax rate?

$0.48 per $100 of valuation (This rate is subject to change and is established by the City Council annually during the budget process). How do I calculate my taxes? Multiply the valuation by .0048, which is the tax rate per each $100 of the valuation.

When are taxes due and how can I find out more about City taxes?

The due date is September 1 of each year. January 5th is the last day to pay without penalties. The interest rate is 2% in January and ¾% each month thereafter. All property taxes for the City of Concord are assessed and collected by the Cabarrus County Tax Administration Department. Please visit or call 704-920-2119 for more information.